Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Dracula part one

 Hello,

Reading Dracula was very interesting. People usually know the story of Dracula where Dracula kills people then Dracula gets killed. Yet in this novel “Dracula By: Bram Stroker”, it goes into deeper detail than we would usually know. For this blog, I am going to talk about what has happened so far in this story.

During the beginning of this book, Jonathan Harker goes to Transylvania to meet Count Dracula where he can close off a deal of selling an estate in London. As he takes several nots for his fiancee, Mina Murray, he encounters strange things. The innkeeper's wife at the hotel that Jonathan is staying in gives him a crucifix that goes around his neck:

“Just before I was leaving, the old lady came up to my room and said in a very hysterical way.
'Must you go? Oh! Young Herr, must you go?' She was in stuck an excited state that she seemed to have lost her grip of what German she knew, and mixed it all up with some other language which I did not know it all. I was just able to follow by asking many questions. When I told her that I must go at once, and that I was engaged on important business, she asked again:
'Do you know what day it is?' I answered that it was the fourth of May. She shook her head as she said again:
'Oh yes! I know that, I know that! But do you know what day it is?' On my saying that I did not understand, she went on:
'It is the eve of St George's Day. Do you not know that tonight, when the clock strikes midnight, all the evil things in the world will have full sway? Do you know where you are going, and what you are going to?' - pg. 12

This old woman is trying to say that everything that is evil is going to have its full power. After this quote it say that the old lady begged on her knees for him to wait his journey out and start in a few days.  This quote gives of some forshawdoing by saying Do you know where you are going, and what you are going to?'.  It says that something is going to happen and that where he's going my not be the smartest idea.  Yet when business is done then it needs to be done and yet he continued on his journey to Count Dracula's residence.

When he arrives at the castle, he has dinner with Count Dracula and talks about various topics like the evil spirits that are in Transylvania. The next day, Jonathan notices that there are yet no mirrors in this castle and shaves with a pocket-mirror', when Dracula comes to join him however, Jonathan realizes that Dracula is not seen in the mirror and Dracula throws out the mirror. During that same day, Dracula warned him that he mustn't sleep in any other chamber than his own, yet despite his warnings, one night Jonathan goes out and falls asleep in another chamber he is awakes and sees three women and Dracula burst in.

When I was in my room and about to lie down, I thought I heard a whispering at my door. I went to it softly and listened. Unless my ears deceived me, I heard the voice of the Count:-
'Back,back, to you own place! You time is not yet come. Wait. Have patience. Tomorrow night, tomorrow night, is yours! There was a low, sweet ripple of laughter, and in a rage I threw open the door and saw without the three terrible women licking their lips. As I appeared they all joined in a horrible laugh, and ran away.
I came back to my room and threw myself on my knees. It is then so near the end? Tomorrow! Tomorrow! Lord, help me, and those to whom I am dear.” - pg. 52

At this point in the book, Lucy has died. I think that Lucy has become one of Dracula's victims, and Mina finally gets a notice of her death. Jonathan has suspicions of who did it yet falls into a deep sleep and seems to forget what happens. I can't wait to see what happens next!

No comments:

Post a Comment