Wednesday, November 3, 2010

I am Legend PART TWO

Hello,

For today, this blog will be about the second part on the story “I am Legend” by Richard Matheson and answering the question of when Neville ends the novel by saying, “I am Legend” what did he mean. This week we finished the story “I am Legend” from page 183. This book was a very good one and it touched on a subject that I didn't notice before.

From page 184 to the end of the book was very good as I intended it to be. As my predictions said that they were most likely these blood-hungry creatures did end up getting Richard and at the end of the book he did die. One character during this book was that I was actually interested in was actually not Neville himself, but this mysterious women that seems to be a 'survivor'. Her name is Ruth. It turns out she is a creature yet can contain herself and keep herself out for some time during daylight hours.

The 'topic' that overalled this book was the saying of “I am Legend”. At the end of this story it stated.

“Robert Neville looked out over the new people of the earth. He knew he did not belong to them; he knew that, like the vampires, he was anathema and black terror to be destroyed. And abruptly, the concept came, amusing to him even in his pain.
A coughing chuckle filled his throat. He turned and leaned against the wall while he swallowed the pills. Full circle, he thought while the final lethargy crept into his limbs. Full circle. Anew terror born in death, a new superstition entering the unassailable fortress of forever. I am Legend.” (pg.170)

This was on the last part of I am Legend. When he says “I am Legend”, I think that he means that how in modern world we thought that vampires, big-foots, etc. were legends that people tell their grandchildren and things of that sort. It was the other way around and that non-infected humans were legend because now these infected humans could tell their grandchildren “legends” of people who were different and weren't infected and maybe weren't infected by crosses, who used to eat onions and things of that sort.

After the story, “I am Legend”, the book “I am Legend” went on to different short stories wrote by Richard Matheson that were really great. One story that I liked was the short story called buried talent. This fat guy is the owner of a ping-pong carnival game and this mysterious man comes in and pays his quarter and get his three ping-pong balls and makes every shot. During these shots, this man seems to get weaker and weaker which includes sweating, tiring, etc. This comes to a point where the owner tells the guy that he has to leave the carnival game. I believe that this is saying that when people don't do good, then they do not get rewarded. By me saying this, I am meaning that this fat guy had prizes that were mostly for 'display' only. I am not sure who this mysterious guy was suppose to be because it seems that he is draining out this fat guys life with every shot this person makes. If I would have to take a good shot at it, I would say this person would have been death, yet I have my doubts.

Overall, This book was very good and I enjoyed this one with the point of view. The movie of “I am legend” was good yet you could say the 'base' of the story was plotted yet seriously plotted as “ it went this way in the book, so that is how we are going to do that in the movie”.

No comments:

Post a Comment